These delicious, falafel-like Meditteranean Burgers can be made quickly using canned chickpeas or a home cooked batch that you’ve made ahead. This recipe can be mixed together and refrigerated up to three days. Unless I’m pressed for time, I make a double batch, fry them and store half in a plastic container in the freezer. They reheat well and make a great filling in a whole grain wrap or add-in for a green salad.
2 Cans of chickpeas
3 crushed Matzo crackers (I prefer whole wheat)
1/2 red onion
1/2 C cilantro
1/2 C parsley
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp baking soda
1. Drain and chop chickpeas and crackers in a food processor.
2. Chop cilantro, onion, and to chickpea mixture.
3. Stir in soda and spices. Let rest 30 minutes then form into 3-inch patties.
4. In a frying pan, coat pan with 1 tablespoon of olive and fry falafel until golden brown, turn and repeat.
5. Serve as a main dish in a wrap with Chipotle Dipping Sauce* and a side of jicama slaw and tabouleh or green salad.
Chipotle Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup of your favorite Mayo
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Tabasco brand Chipotle Sauce
Stir together until well blended and enjoy!